MAYDI uses exclusively noble natural fibers and organic yarns in her different collections of artisanal knitting, sourced directly from beautiful Argentina. The whole production is local, and all made by hand, by local talented artisans’ hands.
Depending on the season, MAYDI is willing to design with rather “warmer” or “fresher” fibers for different benefits and properties.
That for, for the Fall-Winter season, she creates pieces with animal-based fibers, such as merino wool from the Argentine Patagonia, mohair, llama from the Argentine Puna and alpaca. Employing these treasures of Argentina allow to keep people around the world warm during the cold days and cool when needed. Wool has a body regulator temperature characteristic, making it easier to wear it in different seasons and with different temperatures, all year long.
These fibers have the property to be 100% biodegradable, as they are a natural and renewable resource, which means that when it is disposed of, it will naturally decompose in soil within a few months or years and then slowly they will release valuable nutrients back into the earth. Isn’t our planet wonderful?
Each one of them also has different beneficial properties:
- Softness: Merino wool from Argentina can be compared to precious fibers such as cashmere and alpaca, for its fineness, brightness and softness.
- Elasticity: Merino wool fabrics let the body move freely thanks to its structure and shape.
- Hypoallergenic: Merino wool is beneficial for allergy and asthma sufferers, as it acts as a “second skin”.
- Luster: It is one of Mohair’s main characteristics. The natural sheen of the fiber allows it to resist fading caused by time and the elements.
- Non-flammability: Mohair is almost non-flammable and provokes a less allergic reaction than wool.
- Resistance to soiling: This property allows to remove the dust easily, by shaking and brushing it.
- Anti-microbial: The natural anti-microbial properties of the Llama allow the body to breathe easily and thus the pieces made out of it are odor-free.
- Stain resistance: Unlike other synthetic type of fibers, Llama does not stain easily and so it holds it up.
- Absorbent: It is known for its moisture-wicking qualities and it is also water-repellent.
- Lanolin free: The lanolin properties of the Alpaca makes it the perfect wool for people with sensitive skin.
- Unique and lightweight: Alpaca wool is superior because it is soft, lightweight, clean and still durable, all at the same time.
- Eco-friendly: Alpacas do not eat as much food as sheep, and when they do eat, they are usually eating the grass from the ground.
On the other hand, for the Spring-Summer season, the collections are made out of plant-based fibers like organic cotton, linen, bamboo, jute and raw silk, from Argentina. These fibers are perfect and adapted for higher temperatures, letting the body breathe and giving a light and fresh sensation.
All materials from animal and vegetable origin have some degree of biodegradability. If they are naturally composed, they will decompose easily in nature and bringing back some benefits to the soil and earth.
MAYDI creates and designs each collection with a predominance of elegance and minimalism, with great attention to details. MAYDI’s vision is urban and contemporary, and each piece is unisex.